Thursday 14 January 2010

Space Adventures!

Photobucket
I can see Finland from here!

It's the Star Trek Online open beta and I'm getting rather excited already. My bf showed me the new Trek film a couple weeks back, which happened to wake up the hibernating trekkie in me (used to watch TNG and DS9 as a kid), which in turn made me watch the Original Series and fall in love with Spock the whole series again. Some of the folks I know in LotRO have been going on about the upcoming ST Online and I managed to sneak myself in the open beta - and I'm having a good time.

Photobucket
I played around a little with the character creator, which allows you to make delightedly odd-looking aliens in addition to canon races. I rolled a wonderful motley-faced alien with the biggest ears ever, but the servers disconnected before I could save him/her/it and when I got back I just quickly rolled a Vulcan girl to get into the game before the next disconnect.

Photobucket
Photobucket
There are some nice little details here and there, like the floating dead borg dude outside the window.

I must say I really love the audio in STO. The sound effects are spot on and the music is very nice. Sadly that's not something I can convey through screenshots, but I can guarantee the atmosphere really feels like Trek :D.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Space combat was very difficult for me at first, since I've never actually played any kind of flying game (kept trying to strafe with Q and E all the time - which just caused my ship to slow to a crawl). I did get better at it after some practice, and had lots of fun when I warped to a certain system and found myself in a group with other players, trying to fight off tons of enemy ships.

Photobucket
Photobucket

U.S.S. Cheeseprobe, ready for action!

*waits for launch*

No comments:

Post a Comment